By Laguna Beach Magazine Staff
Before Las Brisas was built on Cliff Drive near Heisler Park, the Woman’s Club held a grand picnic on the property in 1924. The site was filled with tables and umbrellas for a memorable celebration overlooking the sea. More than a decade later, in 1938, LA restaurateur Hugo Adelietus founded the Victor Hugo Inn on the site, which became a popular landmark eatery in Laguna. It was eventually sold to Marcel Langlois, then became Las Brisas, an upscale Mexican restaurant, in 1979.
Meanwhile, the philanthropic Woman’s Club of Laguna Beach has continued to serve the city since its establishment in 1922. Still in existence today, it benefits local residents through fundraisers and community service projects. The creation of Bluebird Park’s playground and construction of South Coast Community Hospital, which opened in 1959 and is now known as Mission Hospital, are just two examples of its commitment to the city.